Day dedicated to learning the basics of ski mountaineering.
Minimum 6 participants - the excursion will be confirmed when the minimum number is reached.
Col Croce: perfect trip to start the ski mountaineering season and resume the climbing mechanisms with the skins.
Itinerary: Departure from Col S. Carlo (Morgex), pass to Lago d'Arpy and climb up to the summit cross at 2381m.
Difference in height: 600 m.
Duration: 4/5 hours
The tour can be easily carried out from Courmayeur during the day.
- analysis of the equipment for ski mountaineering: skis, bindings, skins, rampant
- analysis of mandatory safety material: artva, shovel, probe
- study and choice of the itinerary analyzing topographic maps, ski tour guides and weather reports
- theory and practice of progression with ski mountaineering
- climbing theory and technique: inversions on steep terrain
- descent theory and technique
The excursion is suitable for skiers accustomed to descend with any type of snow and to overcome differences in height around 600/800 meters.
- Meeting at 8.00 am in front of the Alpine Guides office;
- Individual ski mountaineering material control;
- Delivery, for those who do not have the safety kit: blade and probe;
- Transfer by car (own) to Col S. Carlo (about 20 min);
- Briefing on the program of the day;
- Briefing on the use of the security kit;
- Preparation for the trip and departure;
- The first 40 minutes take place in a pleasant pine forest on the plain that leads to Lake Arpy;
- From the lake begins the real climb up to the summit cross: wide valleys lead easily to the ridge shoulder with magnificent views of the town of La Thuile and Mont Blanc;
- Return to the car for the same ascent route;
- Return to Courmayeur in the early afternoon.
PERSONAL TECHNICAL MATERIAL
- Backpack 20/30 lt
- Ski mountaineering equipment: skis, bindings and ski mountaineering boots, skins, rampant, ski mountaineering poles;
- Safety material: shovel, artva, probe (included in the price, if not provided)
- Helmet for the descent
CLOTHING AND USEFUL THINGS TO HAVE
- High mountain sunglasses
- 50+ sun cream and lip balm
- Ski gloves + 1 light pair
- Breathable T-shirt
- Windstopper or fleece sweater
- Waterproof and breathable jacket (Gore-Tex or similar)
- Down jacket
- Ski mountaineering trousers
- Windproof overcoat
- Ski socks
- A reserve T-shirt
- Ski mask
- Paper towels
- Water bottle or Thermos
- Bars or a sandwich for the climb
The rate includes:
- assistance from the Alpine Guide and insurance
- the safety kit: shovel, artva and probe
The rate does NOT include:
- transfers by car
- packed lunch
- complete ski mountaineering equipment: skis with ski mountaineering bindings, ski mountaineering boots, skins, rampant (possibility to book equipment rental in Courmayeur);
- unless otherwise specified.