Day dedicated to learning the basics of ski mountaineering.
Minimum 4 participants - the excursion will be confirmed when the minimum number is reached.
The Aosta Valley is a perfect area for ski mountaineering. Long valleys and wide slopes with every exposure and degree of difficulty, allow wonderful trips throughout the season.
Itinerary: Ascent of great satisfaction in the Italian Val Ferret. Passing through the Bonatti hut at 2015m you will reach the slopes of the famous Colle di Malatrà at 2936m, the watershed line between Valdigne and Valle del Gran S. Bernardo.
Difference in height: 1300 m.
Duration: 4/5 hours
The tour can be easily carried out from Courmayeur during the day.
- analysis of the equipment for ski mountaineering: skis, bindings, skins, rampant
- analysis of mandatory safety material: artva, shovel, probe
- study and choice of the itinerary analyzing topographic maps, ski tour guides and weather reports
- theory and practice of progression with ski mountaineering
- climbing theory and technique: inversions on steep terrain
- descent theory and technique
The course is aimed at skiers with a proven technique of descent on the track, used to ski on red slopes with parallel skis.
- Meeting at 8.00 am in front of the Alpine Guides Office;
- Individual ski mountaineering material control;
- Delivery, for those who do not have the safety kit: blade and probe;
- Transfer by car (own) to Planpincieux (1600m);
- Briefing on the program of the day;
- Briefing on the use of the security kit;
- Preparation for the trip and departure;
- The first part of the climb takes place along the cross-country tracks, up to the village of Lavachey;
- Once you have taken the summer path to the Bonatti refuge, you climb gently through larch woods. From the Bonatti refuge, the woods thin out to leave space to wide valleys leading to the Malatrà valley and the homonymous hill;
- Return by skiing for the same ascent route;
- Return to Courmayeur in the early afternoon.
PERSONAL TECHNICAL MATERIAL
- Backpack 20/30 lt
- Ski mountaineering equipment: skis, bindings and ski mountaineering boots, skins, rampant, ski mountaineering poles;
- Safety material: shovel, artva, probe (included in the price, if not provided)
- Helmet for the descent
CLOTHING AND USEFUL THINGS TO HAVE
- High mountain sunglasses
- 50+ sun cream and lip balm
- Ski gloves + 1 light pair
- Breathable T-shirt
- Windstopper or fleece sweater
- Waterproof and breathable jacket (Gore-Tex or similar)
- Down jacket
- Ski mountaineering trousers
- Windproof overcoat
- Ski socks
- A reserve T-shirt
- Ski mask
- Paper towels
- Water bottle or Thermos
- Bars or a sandwich for the climb
The rate includes:
- assistance from the Alpine Guide and insurance
- the safety kit: shovel, artva and probe
The rate does NOT include:
- transfers by car
- packed lunch
- complete ski mountaineering equipment: skis with ski mountaineering bindings, ski mountaineering boots, skins, rampant (possibility to book equipment rental in Courmayeur);
- unless otherwise specified.