A ski mountaineering weekend for those who want to approach this discipline gradually and with awareness. Technique of ascent and descent, use of Artva, shovel and probe, evaluation of the snowpack will be the main themes. A theoretical lesson in a shelter is scheduled in the afternoon. Participation is also possible for those who walk with snowshoes and snowboards.
Città di Cirié Refuge: The refuge is located on a cliff at the north-western end of the wide Pian della Mussa, at the foot of the UIA di Ciamarella and the rocky balcony that closes the Val d'Ala. The structure was built in 1930 with the function of a barracks of the Frontier Guard and used for this purpose until the end of the Second World War, when it was burned by the partisans. On the snows of Balme, in December 1896, Adolfo Kind and Luciano Roiti used for the first time the "ski", curious wooden shoes used in the countries of Northern Europe, climbing to Pian della Mussa. Later it developed both alpine skiing and "gran fondo" skiing, modern ski mountaineering. From late winter and throughout the spring, the overhanging Balme massif offers opportunities for day trips rather than high-altitude raids. These itineraries are not afraid of comparisons, the odds that they touch vary between 3000 and 3676 meters. You can tackle different types of terrain from open slopes to walls up to channels so you can satisfy even the most demanding skiers.
Necessary equipment: Normal equipment for ski mountaineering complete with Artva, Pala and Sonda. Proper clothing, backpack. The technical equipment can be rented.
Day 1 - Meeting at 9.00 am at the Pakinò ski lift, Balme. After a short briefing and check of customers' material by the guide, departure for the excursion with arrival at Rifugio Città di Ciriè. Dinner and overnight.
Day 2 - Depending on the weather conditions, snow conditions and the general level of the group, the guide will choose between the following excursions:
- Colle del Tovetto (North or South): From Pian della Mussa you cross the Stura heading south. You reach the Ghiaire farmhouse, 1815 m, and continue through the forest of sparse larches leading to the mouth of the Arnas canal. It bends to the left, crossing the slopes of the Rocca Turale, and still rarely you reach the Colle del Tovetto, at an altitude of 2167 m.
- Colle Battaglia: From Pian della Mussa, continue to the Gastaldi Refuge, until a gentle slope opens up on the right, gradually curving, giving access to the valley that comes from the Colle Battaglia. You go up by humps and shelves, basically in the middle of the valley; after a series of moderately steep ramps, the saddle of the Colle Battaglia appears at the left, at an altitude of 2310 m
Return to the shelter, where you will take a theoretical lesson and ARTVA tests. Return to Balme around 17.00.
The rate includes:
- Practical and theoretical lessons, with a certified alpine guide
- Overnight and half board at the Rifugio Città di Cirié (dinner, bed and breakfast)
Rate does not include:
- Ski mountaineering equipment
- Everything that is not explicitly indicated.